Friday, July 30, 2010

Sins of the Heart

Otherkin Trilogy - Book 1

Author: Eve Silver

Roxy Tam grew up moving from place to place. Abandoned by her mother at a young age and placed in the foster care system, she had no family or anyone close. Until she trusted the wrong person and ended up in the hands of a killer. Her savior, Dagan Krayl, changed everything she thought she knew about the world and then left her alone once again. Feeling angry and abandoned, she runs to the very people he's warned her away from. She finds a family in the Daughters of Aset, who are enemies of Sutekh, Dagan's father. She tries to forget Dagan, but she can't, and eleven years after he saved her life, he's back and her both her association with the Daughters of Aset and her resentment puts them on opposite sides.

Dagan Krayl is a demi-god. A son of Sutekh, God of the Underworld, he is a soul reaper who scavenges the Topworld to harvest the souls of evil humans to feed his father. When he comes to reap the soul of Roxy Tam's would be killer he does not expect there to be an innocent there. No one has ever seen him and lived to tell. Dagan desires Roxy and feels drawn to her, but he wants her to have a normal life, something she can't have with him. He warns her to stay away from his father's enemies and leaves her behind, but he's never been able to leave her behind in his mind. He never expected to see Roxy again, much less as one of his enemies, but when his brother dies and his search leads him to the Daughters of Aset, he knows he can't walk away from Roxy again.


I've enjoyed Eve Silver's historical romances and only recently read her Compact of Sorcerers books, so I was pretty sure I was going to like this book and I'm glad to say that I was not wrong. I'll admit that sometimes I got a little frustrated with Roxy's choices, I understood why her character reacted the way she did. She was a though cookie who didn't let people get close, but with good reason. I also think that if Dagan was so set on her having a normal life and couldn't forget her, he should have peeked in on her now and again. I know that I couldn't have just walked away and never wondered what became of her. I did like that once he decided to go after her, he did not let her, or the opposition that they faced, put him off.

No comments: